Bunker Hill Community College

Bunker Hill Community College Mobile and Tablet Version

Guide to Admissions

International Students 450x300px

International students in F-1 status must be enrolled as full-time students (minimum 12 credits) each semester due to U.S. immigration regulations. Some programs of study at BHCC are designed for enrollment in less than 12 credits per semester. International students enrolled in one of these programs will need to be prepared to enroll in, complete and pay for additional coursework in order to meet the full-time requirement.

In accordance with the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), the Nurse Education Department at Bunker Hill Community College is publishing data related to graduate success on the licensure exam, student completion of the nursing program and job placement rates.

Every year, Bunker Hill Community College welcomes hundreds of international students from more than 100 countries to our campuses. If you want to study at a college that offers excellent programs, outstanding faculty, individualized attention, opportunities to make life-long friends, and a great city, consider BHCC.

Application Deadlines for F-1 International Students applying from outside of the United States

Spring Semester November 15
Summer Semester March 30
Fall Semester July 15.  If you have a valid F1 visa you can apply by August 1.

To Apply to BHCC

To become an international F-1 student and receive an I-20 from BHCC please submit your application here:

For Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 Apply Now

Students in all other visa categories who do not require F-1 visa must apply using the General Application on the Apply Now page.

You must upload the required documents as follows:

  1. Educational Credentials - You need to submit proof that you have completed high school or its foreign equivalent. Please submit one of the following:

    • A copy of high school diploma or high school transcripts showing your graduation date. If documents are not in English, a translation from a translation agency must be submitted together with the document in the original language.

      If you are in your senior year of high school at the time of the application, submit your transcripts of all years of high school and a letter from your high school official indicating your graduation date. A copy of the diploma must be submitted by the start of your first semester of study at BHCC. If documents are not in English, a translation from a translation agency must be submitted as well.

    • A copy of a bachelor's degree or master's degree diploma. If document is not in English, a translation from a translation agency must be submitted as well.
    • Cambridge O level or Cambridge IGCSE or UK GCSE (or its equivalents) can be submitted as proof as high school completion – You must have completed at least five subjects with grade C (or 3) or better to be considered for admission.
  2. Proof that you are proficient in English:

    If English is not your first language, you are required to submit proof of at least intermediate level of English proficiency.

    We accept minimum scores as follows:

    • 38 on the TOEFL iBT
    • 5 on the IELTS
    • Level 3 on iTEP
    • 38 on the PTE
    • 2A on IKEN
    • B2 on Cambridge English Assessment

    Test scores are valid for two years.

    Other ways to satisfy language proficiency:

    If you have previously attended another college/university with English as a primary language of instruction, and you have completed course(s) in developmental reading or writing or college-level English composition/writing with a grade of C or better, you can submit an unofficial transcript from your prior institution.


    If you have completed four years of high school in which English is the primary language of instruction submit a transcript and a letter from your high school principal attesting to your language proficiency and confirming that English was the language of instruction.


    If you have completed at least three (3) A level courses in the British educational system with a grade C or better; submit a transcript for A and O levels.


    If you have any other official test scores, please submit the copy for review and consideration.


    If you are in Boston and cannot satisfy the language proficiency using the methods listed above, please contact the International Center at international@bhcc.mass.edu to learn about other test options.

    Waiver: The proof of language proficiency is waived for English speaking applicants from Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Canada, Grenada, (British) Guyana, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, United Kingdom, Saint Kitt & Nevis, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, and Zimbabwe.

    Note: All accepted students are required to take a placement test prior to class registration, unless they qualify for an exemption.

  3. Proof that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your first year of study:

    International applicants must show a proof that they have sufficient funds to support themselves for the first year of study at BHCC. We have estimated the cost of attendance at $21,100. For each dependent accompanying the student, additional $7,000 must be available. 

    When you submit financial documents, they cannot be older than six (6) months from the day of your application. 

    Applicants can upload copies of their own bank statement, letter of financial guarantees from a government, foundation, or home university. If you have a sponsor you must submit the sponsor’s bank statement/letter and the completed affidavit of support.

    Students sponsored by a company must submit proof that the employee signing the affidavit has the legal authorization to do so along with the bank statement or letter showing the minimum required balance.

    IMPORTANT: Bunker Hill Community College does not accept sponsorship letters issued for admissions purposes only. We will process your application and issue an I-20 only after you submit your full scholarship award letter; or a personal bank statement (or bank statement and affidavit of support from a sponsor).

    Note: You will be required to submit a copy of the Affidavit of Support and bank letter or statement to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with your visa application.

    If you are in United States in another visa status and would like to change your status to become an F-1 student please review this information.

  4. Copy of Passport Id page

    Please submit a copy of your passport page that contains your biographical information.