Massachusetts Nonresident Student Decal
Steps to obtaining a BHCC Nonresident Student Decal
- Read, sign, and submit the BHCC Nonresident Student Driver Guidelines to the BHCC Police Department (Charlestown Campus, A200). A receipt will be provided.
- Completely fill out an official Massachusetts RMV Nonresident Student Driver Statement, per out-of-state registered vehicle (Statements can be found at the BHCC Police Department Charlestown Campus or http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/forms/20098.pdf).
- Once the Massachusetts RMV Nonresident Student Driver Statement is completed, provide the RMV Nonresident Student Driver Statement to the BHCC Police Department (Charlestown Campus) during regular business hours, in person.
- After review and approval of the RMV Nonresident Student Driver Statement by BHCC Police, the statement will be returned along with a BHCC Nonresident Student Driver issued decal. The student is then required to place the Nonresident Student Driver Decal in the uppermost center portion of the vehicle(s) windshield.
- Student must bring the RMV Nonresident Student Driver Statement to their local police department.
Nonresident Student Drivers FAQs
Who does this apply to?
This law applies to any school or college student (Residing in Massachusetts or out-of-state) with out-of-state registration plates who operate their vehicle(s) in Massachusetts, while attending a school or college in Massachusetts, regardless if they use their vehicle(s) to commute to school.
What information is required by the Nonresident Student Driver Statement?
- The registration number and make of the motor vehicle and the state or country of registration.
- The name and local out-of-state address of the owner.
- The names and addresses of all insurers providing liability insurance covering operation of the motor vehicle.
- The legal residence of such nonresident and his residence while attending such school or college and the name and address of the school, college or university which he/she is attending.
What are the insurance coverage minimums?
A least $20,000 coverage for injury or death to one person and $40,000 coverage for injury or death to more than one person. The operator must also maintain a policy providing indemnity for any person responsible of operating the vehicle(s) with the express or implied consent of the owner.
How much does the Nonresident Student Driver decal cost?
There is no fee for the required Nonresident Student Driver decal.
Where can I get an official RMV Nonresident Student Driver Statement?
On the Massachusetts RMV website, or http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/forms/20098.pdf. Nonresident students who wish to obtain a BHCC student parking permit must provide a copy of the Nonresident Student Driver Statement to the BHCC Police Department (Charlestown Campus), before being issued a BHCC student parking permit and Nonresident Student Driver Decal.
When does the Nonresident Student Driver decal expire?
The Nonresident Student Driver decal expires the following August of when you received it. It needs to be renewed every year.
“Now that I live in Massachusetts do I have to get a valid Massachusetts license?”
Not necessarily. Students from other states are not considered residents even though they may live in Massachusetts from September to June. Only if the student has permanently relocated their place of residency to a Massachusetts address are they required to obtain a valid Massachusetts Driver’s License and register their vehicle(s) in Massachusetts. There is no grace period and operators may be charged criminally, for driving without a valid Massachusetts Driver’s License (M.G.L. Chapter 90 Section 10) and/or cited for failure to properly register their vehicle(s) (M.G.L. Chapter 90 Section 3 1/2).
“I am an international student; do I have to convert my license?”
Possibly. International students whose countries are approved by the Massachusetts RMV may drive up to one year on their country’s valid driver’s license. Please refer to Massachusetts Driver’s Manual, Appendix “C” for the list of honored countries, or http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/forms/21317.pdf
Where on my vehicle do I place my Nonresident Student Driver decal?
The Nonresident Student Driver decal shall be affixed to the uppermost center portion of the vehicle’s windshield.
Is the Nonresident Student Driver decal for BHCC student parking?
No. The Nonresident Student Driver decal is not a valid parking permit. BHCC student parking permits should be purchased through ABM Parking each semester.