Assessment and Testing for Course Placement
At Bunker Hill Community College, you can use the following options to determine what courses to start with. These options can excuse you from the full or partial College Placement Test (CPT).
High School GPA (Grade Point Average)
If you are a student from a Massachusetts high school, you may be qualified for BHCC’s GPA Placement Project. Learn more.
If you have previously attended another college/university, BHCC will evaluate successfully completed courses to see if you are exempt from testing. We will evaluate your course if it meets these requirements:
- The course(s) must be completed in developmental reading, developmental or college-level English composition/writing, and/or developmental or college-level math.
- The course must be completed with a grade of C or better
- The college or university you attended must be regionally accredited
You will not take the reading and English portions of the test if you earned a grade of C or better in a college-level English composition/writing course.
If you earned college-level coursework in math outside the United States and you have had that work translated and equated in to US equivalencies on a course by course basis, you may not need to take the math test.
You may test to see if you can achieve a higher placement.
Unofficial transcripts from other colleges may be used to provide proof of successful completion. Coursework from BHCC can be accessed by you or BHCC staff in our student information system.
- If you scored 500 or higher within the last 2 years on the Evidence Based Reading and Writing section of the SAT, you will not take the reading and English portions of the test.
- There are currently no exemptions for SAT math scores. Unless you are exempt from the math portion for another reason, you must still take the math portion of the test.
- If you scored 22 or higher on the ACT English and Language Arts section within the last 2 years, you will not take the reading and English portions of the test.
- If you scored 500 or higher on the PSAT Evidence Based Reading and Writing section within the last 2 years, you will not take the reading and English portions of the test.
Official score reports from College-Level Examination Program (CLEP):
- If you scored 50 or higher on CLEP College Composition, you will not take the reading and English tests.
- If you scored 50 or higher on the CLEP Pre-calculus or Calculus with Elementary Functions, you will not take the math test.
Official score reports from the College Board documenting AP test completion (completing and AP course is not sufficient):
- If you scored a 3 in English Language & Composition or English Literature & Composition, you will not take the reading and English tests and may register for ENG112.
- If you scored a 4 in English Language & Composition or English Literature & Composition, you will not take the reading and English tests and you may not need to register for an English composition course at BHCC.
- If you scored a 5 in English Language & Composition or English Literature & Composition, you will not take the reading and English tests and you will not need to register for an English composition course at BHCC.
- If you scored a 3 or higher in Calculus AB or Calculus AB Subgrade, you will not take the math test and you may register for MAT282 (Calculus II) or MAT181 (Statistics) if an additional math course is required for your program.
- If you scored a 3 or higher in Calculus BC, you will not take the math test and you may register for MAT283 (Calculus III) or MAT181 (Statistics) if an additional math course is required for your program.
If you need to test, please use the preparation materials provided on our website to review beforehand. Preparation is very important because your test scores will determine which courses you are eligible to register for at Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC).
You must have a BHCC student ID number and intend to enroll in classes in order to complete testing. Please bring your BHCC Student ID (this 7 digit number is included in your acceptance email) with you to test. If you have not applied to Bunker Hill Community College or you need to check the status of your application, visit our Apply Now page.
The Massachusetts Department of Higher Education mandates that all students entering state colleges must complete an assessment test in order to determine basic skills levels for course placement. Reading, math and writing assessments are administered with the Next Generation Accuplacer test, a web-based assessment system. Students will take the Levels of English Proficiency test (LOEP) or the CPT (College Placement Test) which helps place students into an appropriate level of Basic or Academic English as a Second Language (ESL), pre-college, or may place students into college-level coursework. The Accuplacer reading and math tests are un-timed and the writing test is a 50 minute timed test. Students must allow three hours for testing. The length of the session will vary for each student. We accept Next Generation Accuplacer scores from other institutions if they are less than two years old, and if they are the same tests we use at BHCC to determine course placement. Students who transfer scores may still have to take some additional test sections at BHCC. All course placements are valid for two years from the date of assessment.
A valid photo ID is required for testing. Forms of ID that are accepted:
- University, College or School ID cards from other educational institutions
- Government-issued ID
- Company-Issued ID
- Native Tribal ID
- Temporary state ID
- Drivers Permit
- United States employment authorization card
- Scrap paper and pencils are provided to you during your test session.
- Cell phones, calculators, translators, Apple watches, and dictionaries are not permitted in the testing room.
- Please make alternative arrangements for childcare as children are not allowed in Testing Room and cannot be left unattended while testing.
- Food and beverages are not allowed in the testing room.