If you need to test, please use the preparation materials provided on our website to review beforehand. Preparation is very important because your test scores will determine which courses you are eligible to register for at Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC).
You must have a BHCC student ID number and intend to enroll in classes in order to complete testing. Please bring your BHCC Student ID (this 7 digit number is included in your acceptance email) with you to test. If you have not applied to Bunker Hill Community College or you need to check the status of your application, visit our Apply Now page.
The Massachusetts Department of Higher Education mandates that all students entering state colleges must complete an assessment test in order to determine basic skills levels for course placement. Reading, math and writing assessments are administered with the Next Generation Accuplacer test, a web-based assessment system. Students will take the Levels of English Proficiency test (LOEP) or the CPT (College Placement Test) which helps place students into an appropriate level of Basic or Academic English as a Second Language (ESL), pre-college, or may place students into college-level coursework. The Accuplacer reading and math tests are un-timed and the writing test is a 50 minute timed test. Students must allow three hours for testing. The length of the session will vary for each student. We accept Next Generation Accuplacer scores from other institutions if they are less than two years old, and if they are the same tests we use at BHCC to determine course placement. Students who transfer scores may still have to take some additional test sections at BHCC. All course placements are valid for two years from the date of assessment.
A valid photo ID is required for testing. Forms of ID that are accepted:
- University, College or School ID cards from other educational institutions
- Government-issued ID
- Company-Issued ID
- Native Tribal ID
- Temporary state ID
- Drivers Permit
- United States employment authorization card
- Scrap paper and pencils are provided to you during your test session.
- Cell phones, calculators, translators, Apple watches, and dictionaries are not permitted in the testing room.
- Please make alternative arrangements for childcare as children are not allowed in Testing Room and cannot be left unattended while testing.
- Food and beverages are not allowed in the testing room.
- All bags and purses must be kept on the floor under the desk throughout the testing session.