“Love is necessary work and it is in love that we learn to resist, thrive, and lead under any circumstances.” (Bell Hooks)
Communication is the process by which human beings create meaning, and students in the Communication major at Bunker Hill Community College learn to speak, write, and express themselves with humanity and professionalism. The program focuses on human rights and career success. At the core of communication is human rights: the acts of love, justice and empathy for the “recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family.” Our goal is to help students become both ethical and competitive leaders in the job market. The Associate in Arts Degree in Communication offers foundational training in communication and prepares students to transfer to four-year colleges and pursue careers in the creative industries and beyond, including film, journalism, theatre and media.
Upon Completion Students will be able to:
- Have an effective transfer path to a four year school.
- Express foundational communication skills, such as public speaking, professional communication, clear argumentation, and critical reasoning.
- Write for a variety of purposes, adapting to varying audiences.
- Develop cultural and ethical competency, by engaging in human rights advocacy and effective intercultural communication.
- Conduct research in the field of communication.
- Earn hands-on skills in the field of communication through coursework and an internship.
- Understand the dynamics of communication in a global context.
- Enter the workforce upon graduation in film, journalism, media, or other creative industry.
Students in this program will learn hands-on skills in the field of communication through coursework and an internship. Students are prepared to enter the workforce upon graduation in film, journalism, media, or other creative industry. The program is suited for students who wish to pursue careers in the field of: Advertising, Broadcasting, Business, Communication, Education, Film, Journalism, Marketing, Politics, Public Relations, and/or Social Media.