Bunker Hill Community College Desktop Version

Bunker Hill Community College Mobile and Tablet Version

Transitions to College Program

About the Program

The Transitions to College Program at BHCC enables students from adult education centers to enroll in college-level courses and learn the essential skills needed to be a successful student, develop an education and career plan and apply to enroll into a program of study.

Classes Offered

  • Your Guide to Purpose and Success (3 college credits)
  • Computer Applications and Concepts (3 college credits)
  • Foundations of Algebra (3 institutional credits)

Transitions to College students will earn six college credits that will apply to a college program of study. These three classes are offered at no cost (tuition, fees, and books) to the student.

The Transitions to College staff guides students on the procedures for applying and enrolling into BHCC, taking the College Placement Test (Accuplacer), and college expectations. The staff also provides academic and non-academic support for students while in the program and throughout their time at the College, which entails following up on students’ progress to make sure they are completing their classes and checking in on students’ performance, attendance and completion of assignments.

BHCC staff also ensures that students are connected to the many academic support programs and resources on campus. Students are exposed to the Tutoring and Academic Support Center (TASC), the Library, computer labs, LifeMap, Student Activities and clubs.

The Transitions to College Program at BHCC has been funded by a grant from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) since 2000. BHCC provides the funding for tuition and fees and the funding for text books is provided by the grant.

To participate, you must:

  1. Be a current or graduate from a Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Program
  2. Attend a program orientation
  3. Talk to or email the Transitions to College Academic Advisor at 617-228-3347 or bmobrien@bhcc.mass.edu
  4. Fill out the DESE student intake form and in-state tuition form for BHCC, and compose a one page essay outlining your education and career goals. Submit your application to the Transitions to College program with:
    • a copy of high school credential OR high school diploma (if acquired outside of the U.S.) that has been translated and certified
    • one proof of legal residency or citizenship:
      - U.S. Birth Certificate
      - U.S. Passport
      - Permanent Resident Card
      - Work Authorization Visa
      - DACA Authorization
  5. Schedule a mandatory meeting with the Transitions to College Academic Advisor to review application and required documents
  6. Take the College Placement Test (Accuplacer) and register for the courses.