BHCC Safe Zones
Welcome to BHCC Safe Zones!
Safe Zones is an educational program to raise awareness of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and other (LGBTQIA+) issues and contribute to a campus climate of inclusion at BHCC. This is achieved through the implementation of our Safe Zones trainings and the posting of BHCC Safe Zones symbols throughout the BHCC community. Our goal is to prepare members of the BHCC community to support LGBTQIA+ faculty, students, and staff and take active steps toward reducing and preventing harassment, discrimination, and violence based on sexual orientation, romantic orientation, and gender identity or expression.
Why is Safe Zone Training necessary?
- 1.6 million LGBTQA+ youth are homeless
- 23% of LGBQ college students were more likely to experience harassment
- Over 70% of LGBQ college students were less likely to feel comfortable on campus
- Approx. 30% of transgender students were more likely to experience harassment
- Over 38% of transgender college students experienced bullying
- Learn and understand the difference between sex, gender, and sexuality
- Understand issues affecting the LGBTQIA+ community
- Use inclusive and affirming language
- Learn, use, and provide resources
- To create more inclusive spaces on campus for LGBTQIA+ people
What it means to be a BHCC Safe Zones Ally
- To be part of a visible network of allies
- To expand knowledge and resources on LGBTQIA+ issues and current events
- To use inclusive & affirming language
- To not make assumptions about one’s perceived gender or sexuality
- To provide resources to others
- To address all forms of oppression towards the LGBTQIA+ community
- To work with LGBTQIA+ organizations to create/host programs and schedule trainings/workshops
- To encourage others to become Safe Zone Trained
Safe Zones Sticker
The BHCC Safe Zones sticker is an ally symbol that can be seen posted around campus by students, faculty, and staff who have participated in a BHCC Safe Zones training.
What is the purpose and meaning of the Safe Zones symbol?
- Displaying the BHCC Safe Zones symbol conveys that you are an ally to LGBTQ+ individuals.
- The Safe Zones symbol is an official BHCC Bulldog with a progressive rainbow flag background with the words “BHCC Safe Zone” printed at the top of the flag.
- The rainbow is a commonly recognized LGBTQIA+ and Ally symbol.
Students, faculty, and staff who are allies to the LGBTQIA+ community post this Safe Zones symbol as a way to visibly represent their commitment to providing support to LGBTQIA+ individuals.
- Seeing the Safe Zones symbol around campus lets LGBTQIA+ students, faculty, and staff know that there is a campus-wide network of allies.
Displaying the Safe Zones symbol conveys that you are committed to:
- Providing support to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning, and ally (LGBTQA+) individuals.
- Helping LGBTQ+ individuals and allies access LGBTQIA+ resources.
- Confronting, reducing, and preventing homophobic and transphobic bias incidents, including joking, comments, language, harassment, discrimination, and violence based on sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
- Continuing to further educate yourself to learn more about LGBTQIA+ issues and experiences.
- Creating a more safe, welcoming, and inclusive campus climate for LGBTQIA+ students, faculty, and staff.