BHCC Holds a Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week
Thursday, November 21, 2019Bunker Hill Community College held a series of events to raise awareness around hunger and homelessness. Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week was held November 18-22, 2019 events included:
- DISH Food Pantry Donation Drive – a drive to restock the DISH food pantry and fulfill its Amazon wishlist
- Winter Coat Drive- Donated coats were brought to Anton’s Cleaners and then distributed to nonprofits in the Greater Boston area.
- Civic Engagement Fairs – students learned more about campus and community resources, how to register to vote, and other ways to be an advocate for those who are hungry and/or homeless.
- Food for Free Volunteer Opportunities – volunteer opportunities open to faculty, staff and students
- A Faculty and Staff Professional Development Workshops – the workshop covered moving from a traditional community service and service-learning role to teaching and advising students to be public problem solvers and community advocates.
- A Volunteer Opportunity at the Greater Boston Food Bank - volunteer opportunity open to faculty, staff and students
- Soup’s On at the DISH & Single Stop - participants learned how to make recipes with items found at the DISH. Single Stop provided information about campus and community resources.
- A Showing of “Us and Them” – participants learned about hunger and homelessness from student stories, data points, while a loop of “Us and Them played in the Art Gallery.
Thank you to those who stopped by our Civic Engagement Fair today and participated in our photo booth!pic.twitter.com/uxwUVdswE8— DISH Food Pantry (@bhccdish) November 19, 2019
What can YOU do when you have food? Come down to the D Lounge until 2pm to tell us!#hhweek #bhcc pic.twitter.com/NyA2xRiLZd— DISH Food Pantry (@bhccdish) November 19, 2019
Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week is underway. Learn how to make an impact in your community by going to https://t.co/UuMA5bNkn6 #HHWeek@bhccdish @BHCC_Engagement pic.twitter.com/cDwj82Q7CF— BHCC Boston (@BHCCBoston) November 19, 2019
Have you donated to the @bhccdish donation drive? Anything helps and donations can be sent via Amazon! #WeAreBHCC https://t.co/n3xcg1252X— Bunker Hill Community College, Dean of Students (@BunkerHillDoS) November 19, 2019