Welcome to the Early Childhood Education Department
Early Childhood Education Department’s mission statement and goals state two primary purposes.
- To provide knowledge, training and skill development for persons interested in working in the area of social services with specific educational opportunities for those interested in early childhood development and education.
- To serve the community as an information and knowledge-base in the area of social service, with specific expertise in early childhood education and development, human services, and education. This program prepares students in the fields of growth of the child, influences of the family upon the child, and environmental pressures upon the family.
Graduates of this program qualify for employment in a variety of settings, including day care centers, preschools, head start programs, family home care, social service organizations, and day camps. Students also may transfer to four-year colleges or universities in elementary education, human services work with families and children, or special needs childcare. Graduates of this program qualify as teachers and/or lead teachers in the state of Massachusetts. For more information on minimal requirements for employment, contact the department chairperson.
Upon Completion of this Program, Graduates will be able to:
- Use knowledge of child development and relationships with children and families to understand children as individuals and plan for their unique development by organizing environments which facilitate development in all developmental areas.
- Design and implement developmentally appropriate learning experiences using methods and materials which promote growth and development.
- Work with parents, families, and community leaders to support growth and development of children by engaging each child in meaningful experiences.
- Observe children in their care and be able to analyze and synthesize information about children so as to improve their own work with children, families, and communities.
- Analyze, evaluate and strengthen their work with children by reflecting upon effective practices and collaborating with other professionals in the field.