Bunker Hill Community College

Bunker Hill Community College Mobile and Tablet Version

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. The placement test is given in the Assessment Center, B118.  You will begin the test with a writing sample (pencil and paper), and then the rest of the test is computerized and multiple choice for reading and vocabulary.  The test is free and takes about two-three hours.  After the test, you can speak with an adviser about choosing courses.  Please call 617-228-2468 for more information.

You can take a math course together with Level III ESL courses.  You can take college content courses together with ESL courses at level III. We have organized "INTEGRATED" courses for you. Please see the master schedule.

We want you to take college content courses as soon as possible and that is why we have only three ESL levels in the ESL/ English for Academic Purposes Department. However, we want to be sure that you are able to read, write, take notes, and speak with your professors and classmates well.

Some ESL students have to take all of them and some do not.  Please speak with your ESL teachers or visit the Assessment Center, B118.

Please speak with an adviser in the Assessment Center, Room B118, to determine which course is best for you to start with.

That depends on you.  We give you many opportunities to learn ESL as quickly as possible. However, please keep in mind that academic English takes five to seven years to learn.  You can ask your teachers to give you extra homework.  You can use the many software programs in the Language Lab, E236.  You can also meet with tutors at the Lab.  You can join clubs and activities on campus (visit Student Activities Office, D106).  You can do independent study at home on many ESL and grammar websites.  Do the best you can in each of your classes.  Show your professors that you are a serious and hard-working student.

For some reason, when you took the placement test at BHCC, either the CPT, Computerized Placement Test, or the ESL Placement Test, your level was ESL. These tests told us that your reading and writing skills need improvement before you can begin college content courses.  Talk to your teachers for advice about which courses will help you the most or visit the Assessment Center, B118.

Financial aid is based upon your Grade Point Average (GPA).  Students will lose financial aid if their GPA drops below 2.0.

Students who have financial aid money left over from the spring semester may use their money to pay for summer courses, but new students who apply for financial aid in the summer must wait until the fall semester to receive their money.