Sentence Skills Sample Test
Select the best version of the underlined part of the sentence. The first choice is the same as the original sentence. If you think the original sentence is best, choose the first answer.
1. Ms. Rose planning to teach a course in biology next summer.
- are planning
- with a plan
2. When an event’s occurrence has a probability of almost zero, its occurrence is nearly impossible, however, when the probability is one, the occurrence is certain.
- impossible, however, when
- impossible, when
- impossible; when
- impossible to happen; but if
Construction Shift Questions
Rewrite the sentence in your head, following the directions given below. Keep in mind that your new sentence should be well written and should have essentially the same meaning as the sentence given you.
3. You have good points and bad points in changing to a four-day work week.
Rewrite the sentence.
- You have good points and bad points in changing to a four-day work week.
- The change to the four-day work week means you have good and bad points.
- Changing to the four-day work week has its good points and bad points.
- The four-day work week has good and bad points in changing to it.
4. Being a female jockey, she was often interviewed.
Rewrite, beginning with: She was often interviewed… The next words will be:
- on account of she was…
- by her being…
- because she was…
- being as she was…
5. Mary Church Terrell, more than almost any other American, made great contributions to social reform in our country; she was an eloquent and determined proponent of women’s suffrage and racial integration.
Rewrite, beginning with: Few have contributed so greatly to social reform in our country…
- because Mary Church Terrell was…
- as Mary Church Terrell, an…
- that Mary Church Terrell was…
- other than Mary Church Terrell, who…